Making the Case
When nonprofits prioritize effective leadership and governance, they are more likely to be around for the long-term.
Nonprofit organizations are the front lines in meeting the diverse needs within any community. Nonprofits are designed to efficiently provide resources, services and/or tools in specific areas of need. By their nature, however, most nonprofits operate on minimal budgets which limit staff positions. Consequently, few organizations have the ‘luxury’ of staff who are equipped to back up, and eventually succeed, current leadership. Limited time and/or finances may also restrict access to training that could make those staff even more effective.
When it comes to organizational governance, boards are often comprised of those with great empathy for the cause, but who would welcome more clarity about their roles. Term limits also create the need for a constant pipeline of new, qualified board members.
The growing number of nonprofits multiplies these issues, and brings unique challenges for brand new organizations. For all these reasons, systematic, comprehensive, affordable training opportunities are critically important for both staff and board members – equipping this next generation to lead and govern.
Success in enhancing the profile of nonprofit leadership will be reflected in this community change:
- More nonprofit staff and Board members equipped for leadership roles
In order to help support this change, the Foundation will engage in one main strategy:
- Leadership Training - Capacity building for exceptional strength in staffing and governance, in mission-critical areas like fundraising, financial management, strategic planning, evaluation, and human resource management
Next Generation Leadership Logic Model
- Expert level education and training
- Technical assistance
- Networking and collaboration opportunities
- Assessment tools and data
Capacity building for exceptional strength in nonprofit leadership
ANTICIPATED COMMUNITY CHANGE
- Current and upcoming leadership (staff and board) will be equipped with effective leadership skills and competencies